Wednesday 1 October 2014

"all about the journey" card


       Hello lovely friends! I thought id kick off my first "proper" blog post with a card tutorial. I think it shows my style . Messy, random, colourful, and pretty(not always though). I encourage you to take inspiration from my art and create your own interpretation.x


                                       "Its all about the journey" card
                             
                           Using unity and suzi blue stamps 






This is a card I designed for a card club I belong to. I absolutely love Suzi Blue "girls". You can really go as far as you want with the shading of her face. I always like to give mine a bit of lipstick, and some blush. To learn more about suzi blu, go here. If you want to see more Unity stamp loveliness click here.

The materials I used were: 

5x7 white envelope
5x7 white base card
5x7  cropped white card for creating image
Scrap piece of white card about 3in x 3in (for sentiment)

*Tim Holtz distress inks in Seedless Preserves, Salty Ocean, and Walnut Stain.

*Archival ink and Cobolt and Plum
*Momento inks in Teal Zeal and Elderberry
*Alcohol markers of your choice (I used copics)
*Water bottle for "flicking"
*Heat matt
*Heat gun
*Baby wipes and kitchen roll (optional)
*Small scissors
*Ranger glossy accents
*Suzi Blue stamp for unity "Pretty girl"
*Lavinia bird stamp
*Numbers stamp from darkroom door
*Compass, sentiment and days of month stamps by unity stamp company
*Black versafine ink
*clear embossing powder
*Plastic tray for embossing powder use

I first distressed the backround of 5 x 7 peice of cropped card with seedless preserves and salty ocean. I did this very roughly not worrying about blending perfectly.


I then flicked the paper with water from my water bottle. Distress inks are water reactive and create lovely water spots. let the water drops sit for 30 seconds and start heat drying.


Now stamp the months of the year stamp. Using archival cobolt stamp it on the left hand side leaving room at the top for the sentiment.


Stamp the compass on the bottom right using momento teal zeal.


Stamp the numbers randomly around using archival ink in plum.


Stamp the birds in momento elderberry ink.


Stamp the Suzi Blu "pretty girl" stamp using momento ink in black and cut her out. note: It is important to use momento ink as it will not smear when coloured over with alcohol markers .


Colour her in using alcohol markers of your choice. I used copics. 


Stamp the "all about the journey" sentiment on your small scrap piece of card using black versafine ink. Emboss it using your clear embossing powder and your heat gun.  Cut it out to size.

Distress the sentiment card using seedless preserves and a little bit of walnut stain.

First mount the sentiment card on the top of your  base card using your adhesive of choice. 


Now mount the girl on your distressed and stamped card. She fits quite snug under your sentiment. So have a think about where she will look best and fit on the card.


Your pretty much done! All thats left is to put a little bit of glossy accents on her eyes, and adhere the finished image to the main 5x7 base card.


The glossy accents will take a few hours to fully dry. I think you can use this as a lovely birthday card. you could optionally stamp happy birthday on the inside maybe? After all it is "all about the journey". Thanks for stopping by! Come back soon!



                                    Always, Kass









10 comments:

  1. good Luck with your blog Kassandra.......Pat Crossland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your new blog Kass, gorgeous card and wonderful details, I love the image too . Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tracy. I definitely get a lot of inspiration off you. Thanks for following!

      Delete
  3. Oooo that's fab I love it. Crafty Blessings. x

    ReplyDelete