Saturday 25 April 2015

Childs book recommendation : Journey by Aaron Becker

Journey is one of mine and Scarletts favourite books ever. full stop. The story is an intriguing, captivating, and imaginative. It also happens to be a book with no words.



This was the the first book I have bought for my daughter that has no words at all. I was intrigued by the idea when I saw this book advertised somewhere and for the life of me cannot remember where. I thought it was a great idea letting the child make the story up as they go along. But to be honest it was a bit different then just making up a story. It was more like an observational journey you took with someone. Having to rely only on pictures and gestures to get clues as to what was going on and watching the story unfold.

Journey is the story of a young girl who is bored at home one day. Her family is seemingly busy doing other tasks, and activities.



(on the picture above Scarlett always reads it as her mummy is cooking ,her daddys working, and her sister is "on facebook".)

She finds a red marker on the floor and draws a door. A door that transports her to another whimsical steampunk world. Her first glimpse of this world is a magical looking forest. There are fairy lights and lanterns hanging from the trees and it is my favourite page in the book. The forest looks scary and beautiful at the same time. I would love to get lost in it for hours.


She gets to a pier and can go no further. She has to solve a problem using her imagination. Her decision leads her to a world filled with citadels, flying ships, and flying carpets.







She must overcome obstacles armed only with her marker and imagination .At one point in the book she even nearly loses her magic marker! A mysterious bird turns up and helps her along the way but where did it come from?




 I wasn't sure how scarlett would react to not having words in her bedtime book. She really took to it right away though. As soon as we were finished she asked "can you get me more books with no words?" Its amazing how observant kids can be! Little details I didn't think she would pick up she would notice right away.

 The pictures in this book are so beautifully detailed. I'm thinking of possibly getting some of the pages in print form to hang on the walls of Scarletts room. They really take you on a journey and tell the story wonderfully. I think everyone should  try a book with no words. With your kids or even on your own. Its okay to read kids books. I do. They are some of the best stories ever written. I'm just glad I have a child now and I have a viable reason to be hoarding childrens books.



You can purchase this book on amazon here. Thanks for reading. stay creative!   -Kass





No comments:

Post a Comment