Wednesday 29 April 2015

Low cost creative ideas for kids: Featuring: Sarah from "Kippers and Curtains" blog



Hi guys,I hope your all well.  Today I'm talking about small, inexpensive ways to bring more creativity into your child's life. I really cannot go on enough about the importance of nurturing a child's creativity.. It could be as full on as a big art project with paints and glues to a simple rhyming poem, or song. There are opportunities to be creative all around us if you think about it.

 Now, what if you have a large family , are on a tight budget , or both?

Enter Kippers and Curtains, , a lifestyle blog about raising a family on a shoestring budget. There you will find all kinds of fun ideas for projects, days out, decor and fashion. Its written by the lovely Sarah, who I got the chance to sit down with and ask a few questions. I asked her how she felt creativity plays a role in parenthood, and got to pick her brain on some ideas on fun without breaking the bank.

(all the following images are taken from the Kippers and Curtains blog and Anarchy Photography)

So go grab a cuppa, sit down and read on:

Q: Sarah, if you had to give your life a job title what would it be?
A: Okay this is a bit whimsical but I would be "Sarah the bringer of joy" I just try and make people happy. I am usually a "yes" person and am usually doing something for someone. I'm a wife to be, and a mum of three, a part time editorial assistant to the local newspaper, and a hobby blogger!



Q: How do you feel creativity plays a role in parenting?
A: I think its great to be a creative parent. Before the kids came along our flat was immaculate. I soon realised to keep the kids entertained, it usually involves some sort of mess. They are definitely happiest when drawing, making and building things. And I have learnt to except the mess that comes along with it!


Q: What kinds of ways to you inject creativity into play?
A: Well, I have a cupboard full of goodies ready for the kids to use as they please. They love building dens indoors, like most kids. They have even been know to empty the cupboard under the stairs so they can pretend to be Harry Potter. I love pintrest and get lots of creative ideas from there. We have recently tried two techniques for marbling with household goods. The one was using nail varnish and water, the other using shaving cream and acrylic paints. We also tried a few experiments using food colouring, oil and water in a jar-which creates a really cool effect.



Q:What kinds of places do you look for on a days out?
A:We are a family of five so don't usually have a lot of money to spend on days out. That's why we tend to go to the woods. There are plenty local to enjoy. Most have rope swings, and big climbing trees. We look for mushrooms, we call it "shrooming", We all enjoy it and it gives the kids a chance to get some fresh air. We love Groombridge place in Tunbridge wells. They have great themed days with loads of kiddie activities, old gypsy waggons, and a giant tree swing in the woods. We also love the beach , picking up rocks and shells and looking for sea creatures.



Q:What materials do you look for most often ?
A: Whilst I'm out walking I always pick up bits of wood, and feathers, and sticks as they come in useful for projects. I love chalk paints, acrylic paints, and gold wax. At the moment I really enjoy using my chalk pens. Ive also just ordered some sari ribbon and sari yarn.We have a drawer full of pencils, glitter, and crayons too!


Q:Where do you source your materials?
A: If its woods I walk around local parks to see what I can find. Ive also spoken to the local timber yard who have allowed me to take any scrap wood.  I buy a lot of acrylic paints from the works, they have inexpensive paint that is good quality. They also have good selection of pastels and embellishments. I buy chalk pens off ebay and I like to look in the store Tiger for pens, ribbons, and glue. For my wooden signs I prefer to use chalk paint. I get it at a local store called Smile at home. I'm planning to make my own soon though as it can be quite expensive.





Q: Are you working on anything at the moment?
A: I'm always working on something.I have just learnt how to make honeycomb balls out of tissue paper.  I'm also making wooden signs for my upcoming wedding, and am going to make some bunting out of burlap and lace. I'm hoping to learn this week, with a little help, to make a flower crown. Most of our recent activities have to do with wedding prep. I still have loads of ideas to keep the kids entertained though. I recently saw a tutorial on making a kaleidoscope using household junk which I'm planning on making soon.


That idea sounds great! I cant wait to see it finished. Thanks so much Sarah for taking the time to answer some questions.I love catching up with great , quick, inexpensive ideas on sarahs blog. You should definitely follow her at Kippers and Curtains I hope readers can see how easy and affordable creativity can be.  So what are you waiting for? Get out there and forage some art materials! speak soon.x

                                                                           Always -Kass












No comments:

Post a Comment