Thursday 16 April 2015

Childrens book review: Buddha at bedtime



Hello everyone!I know, its been awhile. I've been pondering which way to carry forward with this blog. I want to do more than talk about art tutorials, products, and techniques. I want to discuss living life creatively and more passionately. That includes the foods we eat,the music we listen to, the books we read, and the places we go.In fact I aim to bring creativity into all aspects of my life. I invite you to follow with me. I pursue this life to keep me sane, and I feel when we strive to be creative we make the most of our life. We don't become as complacent, and forget to "stop and smell the roses". I hope maybe you who are reading this can get a few ideas to be more creative yourself.

So let's start with a children's book review!

Last week we started reading Buddah at bedtime by Dharmachari Nagaraja and Sharon Tancredi.



This book is a collection of stories written to get kids thinking about kindness, compassion, and empathy. It includes a section on who Buddah was and a little about practicing buddhism. We all know our children need to get out playing more and using their imagination.  Though its becoming increasingly difficult in a world full of apps, video games, films, ext. Im not saying those things are all bad. Far from that. I love a good crime drama, and im currently obsessed with instagram. I just think all of that is okay in moderation. This book helps us set aside a little time to sit quietly with our child, tell a story, and travel to another place. 



 I wasnt sure how my daughter would like this book as it reads as a chapter book and I was worried about lack of pictures. To my suprise though, she really likes it! They scatter smaller pictures along the edges to keep the reader intrested as they read along. I would stop every so often and ask questions like "why do you think Dinos was crying?"(because Arthur broke his promise). At the end of that particular chapter there is a few sentences about why its impotant to keep promises.

We arent finished with this book entirely but so far we are really enjoying it. These authors have wrote a second book on the same subject called The Buddhas apprentice we cannot wait to read! I really suggest this as a great book to read with your child.  

Remember this:



“it’s not our job to toughen our children up to face a cruel and heartless world. It’s our job to raise children who will make the world a little less cruel and heartless.” –L.r knost



 Does anyone have any particular stories they like reading with their child? Id love to hear about them! We are always looking for new books to add to our list. They dont all have to be as thought provoking as this particular book. Another book we have on our shelf is called Walter the farting dog...but we will leave that for another post. Thanks for reading and stay inspired!


                                                                                                 -Kassandra

2 comments: