Tuesday 21 April 2015

DIY family memory box



Awhile back when I was having a bad day, my friend Max gave me a good idea. She said "take a jar and when any tiny little happy moment happens write it down. At the end of the year sit down and open the jar and reminise about all the happy times." I thought it was a lovely idea.Well, life got busy and I got into one of my "funks". I didnt really feel like making anything. Im happy to report im feeling much better and officially out of my "funk". (What a stupid, non descript word for depression). Anyway, I got back to thinking of that jar and decided to give it a go. I know its not the beginning of the year. I figured its cool to jump in any time. What matters is the memories put in, not when we start, right?

                                          

After a trip to Hobbycraft with a buddy , I decided to make it a decopatch project! I grabbed some essentials including: The box to alter,decopatch, mod podge (or simialar decopaging glue), a paint brush, some scissors, and tissue paper.


                                          



 I went for a blue crackly paper . I thought it would look good since I was going for a (dare I say it) "shabby chic style".


                                                   
 It was all pretty easy and starightforward from there. Cut the paper into smaller sections that are easier to work with and apply glue to the suface you are adhearing it to. Also add a coat over the top. This will act as a seal or glaze. I used another paper with houses to glue a row of houses along the bottom. I stuck some transparent stickers of a sun and a kite from an American Crafts sticker set I had. I then went to my project life stash and got the ephimera card that says "the little things" from a Heidi Swapp PL kit.

                                                 

 I thought it was a perfect bit of ephimera as it states what I want to put into the box. The little things.  The minor overlooked smiles and jokes. Its easy to remmeber big events. Good, or bad. Thats what tends to take up most my brain sometimes. Recalling on past experiences. Wondering where I went wrong or right in certain situations. Some would say not to dwell on the past and I would tend to agree. However its difficult to practice sometimes when I have anxiety. With all that going on in my head all the happy little moments get lost.THAT is what this box is for. To quickly grab the moment, jot it down, and put it inside. So when the storm cloud of bad thoughts come I can open them up and remmeber its not all that bad. Maybe you could to?



                                                                                

                                                                               stay creative and live inspired. x

                                                                                                       -Kass


7 comments:

  1. Fabulous idea, what a lovely box too :) - glad you have come out of your funk you're right, it is a stupid word :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hun. Max's idea, she's so clever x

      Delete
  2. cute ! I know the feeling...sometimes wine works too! lolol! bwaaahhhh! dont listen to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha or wine AND craft! J/k wouldn't want to see the projects I crate after a bottle of white. Or would I?...

      Delete
  3. Lovely idea, and a cute make. Creative Blessings, Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much! Have a great day.x

      Delete