Thursday 28 May 2015

Adding colour to a black and white theme using bleeding tissue paper on canvas technique


Today I am going to show you how my daughter and I collaborated together to add some colour to a black and white theme.

So in my last post we redecorated our living room leaving us with cool and casual picture ledges to display our treasures.

Now we just wanted to add some bright colourful pictures to contrast the black and white ones. I remembered seeing this pin of the Fiskars ideas section of their site. It was a bleeding tissue paper canvas. So we decided to give it a try. The first thing I learnt was you need bleeding tissue paper for this as opposed to regular tissue paper for wrapping presents. I got some relatively cheap on ebay. There is a ton in the pack! I'm gonna have this for ages!

Here is what we did:

1. Paint water onto your canvas

2. Place tissue paper on canvas

3. Leave to dry

4. Pull off the tissue paper

( for a more watercolour/blended look brush more water over the top of paper.)


 We made a couple canvases. I cut more precise straight strips and put them around the edges of the canvas like a frame. Scarlett placed them randomly around the canvas. Both gave a cool, tie dye, blended look. Perfect for the colour we needed!



Then we printed out a picture of a pug , cut it out, and mod podged it onto the canvas Scarlett did. Then she went over it with gelatos. Adding a sunny sky up top and intensified some of the colours.



I rummaged through my stash and found some old vintage script looking paper and cut out three different heart shapes of different sizes. i tried to cut them a bit wonky. I mod podged them on the canvas with the bright tissue frame and went around the edge with a black stabilo pencil.  then I went around what I just drew and kind of smudged it with my fingers. It just gives it a bit of interest and depth.


I'm really happy with how both of them turned out. They are exactly what we need to add to our black and white themed picture ledge, and best of all they were created by both Scarlett and I.




Cant wait to make more things with this bleeding tissue paper technique. That's a good thing since I have loads of it now! (seriously,..loads.) Thanks for checking my page out today. Ill be back soon with some ATCs I'm making for a swap on the Stampotique facebook page. Till then, take care!

                                             Always, -Kass














2 comments:

  1. Absolutely love this stuff! OK, off to find where i can buy some! tyou!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! I might try this with the kids!

    ReplyDelete