Tuesday 26 May 2015

Living room/dining room switcheroo re-vamp. Using IKEA picture rails



The other day I completely rearranged the ground floor of my house. There were a few reasons that prompted me to do this 1. We never used the kitchen table as it was down at the end of the kitchen. Its a bit cold down there and far away from whats going on. 2. The middle room was getting no use, it was just a walkway through from the kitchen to the living room. So I put the kitchen table all the way to the front of the house and started using the room as a proper dining room. Its much nicer, it gets the sun all day and we have been getting tons more use out of it!



now the middle room that was a walkway is the living room with the couch and television. Which is great! but I was left with a bunch of empty wall space.



I knew i wanted to show some images from my favourite photographers and artists but could not decide which ones to put where. I am just not the kind of person who can stand with a ruler and mark out exactly where I want stuff. If it involves numbers and measurements I have to admit I shy away from it. So I decided to go for this idea I've had for a long time using the Ikea RIBBA Picture ledges on the walls to lean artwork on that we love.


We bought 4 of the long picture rails and a bunch of miscellaneous picture frames in black and white.I decided to go on a black and white theme with pops of bright colours. Probably because it was in my mind from the last ATC I did? 


I used an old out of date diary with pictures from one of my favourite photographer Robert Douisneaux. I cut out a bunch of different images that inspire me. His street photos from France in the 40's are some of my favourites of his. After I was done was that most of the little frames were filled.

 For some of the larger images I cropped down a Norman Rockwell print I had, and printed some large images of black and white graphics in a google image search.  I also used photographs of my own, mostly of Scarlett. There are a few other random bits and pieces, and some empty frames still. I want to leave room to add to it.





So here it is finished for now:
5

Now Scarlett and I are working on adding those "pops" of colour. We are using bleeding tissue paper on canvas to get great bright, marbling effects. Will be doing a tutorial for you guys on that very soon. So check back again. Thanks for stopping by.x

                                         Always , -Kass


2 comments:

  1. lovely :) my daughter just got those shelves and she is filling them- i made her a little painted canvas - Scarlett a sweetie as usuall- give her a squeeze for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. these shelves are so great . Its tempting to put them everywhere! x

      Delete